Gratitude Need not be Grandiose
Gratitude need not be grandiose. Some of the best things in life for which to be thankful are incredibly simple. It is important to name them, share them, and appreciate them.
- I am thankful for a clean glass of water to drink whenever I want one.
- I am thankful to sit down with my husband and drink a cup of freshly ground coffee in the morning.
- I am thankful for leftover lasagna and salad for supper.
- I am thankful to be able to sit in a warm family room with at least part of my family to watch the State of the Union Address while living in safety in a free country.
- I am thankful for a warm bed and a good night’s sleep.
- I am thankful for poetry, good fiction, scripture, and yes, the occasional brainless page-turner–most of which come from the local library or paperbackswap.com.
- I am thankful to have survived cancer and to have reasonably good health.
- I am thankful for good work and fine folk with whom to work.
- I am thankful for music (and my second-hand iPod).
- I am thankful for film.
- I am thankful for art (and public galleries that make it possible for me to experience it).
- I am thankful for nature–for local, state, and national parks and forests that keep it accessible.
- I am thankful for my sturdy old laptop and high speed DSL.
- I am thankful to be able to laugh, smile, and breathe.
- I am thankful to be alive and in the company of those I love and who love me.
How about you? For what simple things are you thankful? Why not make a list and share them right now?
Photo by quinnanya used under Creative Commons License. Thanks!